Thursday 21 August 2014

A Recipe From My Childhood I still Make Today: Chicken Rice Soup

Mama’s Losin’ It

I grew up with a single mom and siblings, so things were always tight and mom my knew how to
make a penny stretch. One recipe she would always make and I would eat it for lunch and dinner for as long as I could sometimes is her chicken/turkey rice soup.

She would always make it after she made a big turkey or chicken using the leftovers and I still do it to this day. I will also freeze batches just to save it for later.


Ingredients:
A left over turkey or chicken
A stock pot full of water.
 Plus 6 more cups of water
3 cups Instant rice
1 med onion
1 cup corn kernels - I use Thrive freeze dried corn
4 stalks of celery diced
4 carrots peeled and diced
1 cup peas
and whatever other veggies you may want or have on hand. (I typically just use what i have on hand or whats in season)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp Basil
2 tbsp Seasoning salt

Directions:
Take the left over chicken and put it in a stock pot of water and boil in down until you have a nice broth and the meat if falling off the bone. Then strain the chicken out and set the broth aside.
De-bone the chicken and take all the meat off the bone and add it to the pot of broth. Then add all the veggies and 6 cups of water and simmer on med. heat until veggies are cooked.
Then add your seasonings and keep simmering and stirring, then add your rice and more water if needed. Let that simmer until everything is cooked and serve.

It can be packaged and frozen also. So you can make BIG batches and save for later.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't grow up with a single mom, but finances were still tight in our home so I can somewhat relate. My mom was the food stretching queen. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Soup is one of my favorite food groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya and even now for us being a "single income" family things can be tight but even not, I still love this soup. Its a total comfort food now. Its super versatile to, so you can make it your own!

      Delete
  2. I am definitely looking forward to soup eating weather. Recipes like this are a staple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! So am I, big staple for sure. Mostly ones you can make in big batches and freeze or can. That time is coming soon.
    Thanks for the comment Mama Kat <3

    ReplyDelete